I consider myself incredibly blessed to have made a career out of doing what I love, but like every other profession, there are both upsides and downsides to being a blogger. I’ve worked in the fashion industry for 3 years now, and no matter which sector I’ve worked in, whether it be in publishing, PR, or blogging, there’s a tendency for people to think it’s all glamour and no work. So here’s the reality of what it’s like to be a full time blogger:
- My favourite part about blogging is the people it’s allowed me to meet. Some of my best friends are fellow bloggers who inspire me everyday
- The opportunities I’ve gotten through blogging are incredible. I am so grateful to have been able to work with big brands, while also being able to discover new ones!
- Having full creative control over my work without the constraints of someone else’s vision.
- Being able to travel on a whim and being able to work with beautiful hotels in different cities.
- The feeling of getting an email or personal message about someone truly appreciating something I recommended!
- All the incredible stuff that’s sent to me on a regular basis – I haven’t bought makeup in 8 months.
- Being able to attend the most elaborate, glamorous, and memorable events.
- The face certain people make when you tell them you’re a blogger. This is still not an industry that’s necessarily respected, but time’s are changing so I’m hopeful!
- The complete and utter absence of work life balance: whether it’s a Tuesday or a Saturday, we’re always working.
- The pressure of constantly being judged by your numbers on social media.
- The need to remind myself CONSTANTLY that my worth and creative ability isn’t determined by the number of likes or followers I have.
- The ongoing battle to explain to brands the fact that what we do is real work that we deserve to be compensated for.
- Forgetting to live in the present and enjoy life in real time, as opposed to looking at it through a camera.
- The shoulder-aches from carrying a DSLR + 2 lenses around with me like they’re a fifth limb (even on vacation when I’m out for 12 hours at a stretch).
So there you have it, the reality of life as a blogger. But with it all being said and done, I consider myself very privileged and wouldn’t change a thing!
Photography by Chris Smart